You may be entitled to compensation if you’ve recently been injured in a car accident in Clearwater, Florida. But, insurance companies will fight tooth and nail every step of the way. The experienced Clearwater car accident lawyers at Perenich, Caulfield, Avril & Noyes Personal Injury Lawyers can level the playing field and set you up to get the financial win you deserve.
We’re the first and oldest personal injury law firm in Clearwater, FL. Our lawyers have more than 300 years of combined experience, and we’ve won $675 Million (and counting) for crash victims and their families.
We have the experience, resources, and passion you need to have in your corner after a crash. Contact our Clearwater law offices to get started with a free case evaluation at (727) 796-8282. Our legal team is always standing by to take your call.
Table of Contents
How Perenich, Caulfield, Avril & Noyes Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help You After a Car Accident in Clearwater
The consequences of an accident – financial, emotional, and physical – can be overwhelming. The fact that considerable time and energy will have to be invested into a personal injury case won’t make things any easier on you. Fortunately, you don’t have to fight for compensation on your own.
Hiring an experienced personal injury attorney from Perenich, Caulfield, Avril & Noyes Personal Injury Lawyers to handle your case will not only set you up for a much-needed win, but also give you the time you need to focus on getting better.
Our Clearwater personal injury lawyers have been serving car accident clients in Clearwater, Florida for more than 66 years. Our legal team includes Board Certified civil trial experts and has received some of the highest honors and awards in the legal field.
When you turn to us for help after a wreck, we will:
- Make sure your case gets the time and attention it deserves
- Coordinate an in-depth investigation into the circumstances involving your accident
- Work closely with experts to identify important elements of your case – like causation, liability, and value
- Handle all negotiations with insurance companies and other third parties to get a fair settlement
- Have our accomplished trial attorneys bring your case to trial, if necessary.
Our goal is to not only win your case, but to make sure that you walk away with every last cent you deserve. For more information, call our Clearwater law office today to schedule a free initial case consultation with an experienced lawyer from our legal team.
Clearwater, Florida Car Accident Statistics (September 2023 Update)
Clearwater is one of the most popular places to live and visit in the Sunshine State. However, with popularity comes danger. Car collisions are anything but uncommon here and throughout the greater Tampa Bay area.
Pinellas County Crash Stats
According to the latest information of crash stats published by the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, there were a total of 15,646 car accidents reported in Clearwater and surrounding towns in Pinellas County in 2022.
That’s between 40 and 43 wrecks every single day over the course of a year.
How does that compare to other years? This information shows us how the total number of auto collisions has fluctuated significantly over the past decade:
- 2013: 16,069
- 2014: 9,758
- 2015: 10,071
- 2016: 19,098
- 2017: 17,968
- 2018: 17,875
- 2019: 17,079
- 2020: 14,313
- 2021: 16,211
- 2022: 15,646
- 2023 (as of September): 10,072
According to the information, as of September 2023, there have been a total of 10,072 crashes so far, resulting in 65 fatalities and 6,208 injured in Pinellas County.
How Serious Are Car Accidents in Clearwater?
Florida ranks as the third most dangerous state in the nation for drivers, based on the number of fatal crashes and car-accident-related deaths. Statistics show that Pinellas County is home to a fatal accident about once every three or four days.
In 2022, there were 113 fatal auto accidents – resulting in 121 deaths – in and around Clearwater. Area accidents also caused 9,210 non-fatal injuries that year.
While the total number of wrecks might have declined between 2019 and 2020, the same isn’t true for fatal crashes and deaths. In 2019, there were 105 deadly accidents and 109 fatalities.
And 2023 already outpaces prior years when it comes to collision severity. Through September, there have been 62 fatal crashes and 65 deathly crashes across Clearwater and Pinellas County. That’s a 15% increase in car accident deaths from the year prior.
What Are Clearwater’s Most Dangerous Intersections?
Car crashes can happen anywhere, but most happen at or near an intersection.
In Clearwater, these crossroads tend to be the most dangerous:
- Gulf to Bay Blvd & S Belcher Rd
- US-19 & Sunset Point Rd
- US-19 & Drew St
- Eastland Blvd & McMullen Booth Rd
Can you always avoid these intersections? Maybe not. But, you can use extra care when traveling these parts of Tampa Bay. If you got injured due to someone else’s negligence you should reach out to a lawyer to discuss your legal rights. Our attorneys will provide you with the legal advice you need and will help you choose the best course of action in your case.
I Was Injured in a Wreck: What’s My Clearwater Car Accident Case Worth?
A lot of different things will influence what your car accident case is worth. Ultimately, the most telling factor is the seriousness of your injuries. According to the National Safety Council, the average economic cost of accidents in 2019 ranged anywhere between $12,500 (for no injury observed) to $98,400 (disabling injury sustained).
The more serious your injuries, the more your personal injury case will probably be worth.
Other factors that can affect the value of your case include things like:
- How long you are unable to work after getting injured.
- If you are able to return to the same job or have to shift gears and find a new line of work.
- How much income you lose as a result of your accident and injury.
- What it costs to replace or repair property damage.
- How you’ve been affected emotionally and psychologically.
Keep in mind that your case is worth more than just what you have to spend out of pocket to get better. Its true value should also reflect the distress, anguish, and suffering you’ve had to endure because of your injuries. If you have any questions, it’s always a good idea to consult your case with a skilled attorney from our legal team.
What Damages Are Available to Crash Victims in Clearwater?
A car accident settlement and verdict typically include two distinct types of damage: economic and non-economic. These are paid (a) to make sure that injured victims are financially whole after an avoidable accident and (b) to help them recuperate from trauma that doesn’t have a set financial cost.
What Are Economic Damages?
They are paid to cover an accident victim’s crash-related financial costs and losses. This includes those expenses you have right now and those you’re likely to incur in the future.
- Medical bills
- Lost wages and income
- Temporary and/or permanent disability
- Costs associated with a funeral and burial or cremation.
Demands for these types of damages must be supported by documentation – like hospital bills, pay stubs or tax forms, and receipts.
What Are Non-Economic Damages?
They are awarded to compensate for the repercussions of a car accident that do not have one specific financial value. Rather, these are consequences that affect people in different ways and on different levels. They are often referred to as “pain and suffering” damages.
- Mental anguish
- Depression and anxiety
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of quality of life
- Loss of limb
Often, there’s a great dispute over what pain and suffering damages are worth. That’s why our attorneys bring in experts during the valuation process. We rely on medical professionals, forensic specialists, and other experts to help us understand the extent of trauma and suffering, future medical treatment, and to better project how it is likely to affect a client’s life. The more we know, the better prepared we can be to fully advocate for maximum compensation.
What About Punitive Damages?
There are times when punitive damages can also be awarded in a car accident lawsuit. However, these are only in cases where there’s clear and convincing evidence that a defendant’s behavior was grossly negligent or intentional. A drunk driving accident – particularly one that is fatal – is a good example of a case where punitive damages might be applicable.
The Insurance Company is Blaming Me: Can I Still Recover Compensation?
Yes – most likely. Florida’s no-fault insurance system means that you can receive compensation from your PIP policy even if you are responsible for the crash. In the event that you’re eligible to file a claim against the at-fault driver, Florida’s contributory fault laws will come into play.
Florida operates under a modified comparative fault system with a 51% rule, which means:
- Everyone who contributes to an accident shares liability, and
- Your financial award will be reduced to reflect your contributing role, and
- You cannot recover compensation if you were mostly to blame.
It’s important to defend yourself against allegations that you are responsible for causing a car accident in Clearwater, Florida.
The insurer may try to blame you for an accident – it’s their preferred strategy for denying claims and minimizing payouts. The more blame that is assigned to you, the lower your take-home award. If you are assigned all of the blame, you’ll find yourself walking away with no money, at all.
Our car accident attorneys in Clearwater know these tactics all too well – we’ve been challenging them for more than 66 years. We know how to protect you and set you up for a win – even if you do happen to share some of the responsibility for causing an accident. We know the best practices to help you limit your liability and maximize your recovery.
What Causes Most Car Accidents in Pinellas County?
Statistically speaking, there are between one and two car accidents an hour in and around Clearwater. That’s a lot of crashes. What typically causes these motor vehicle accidents to happen?
Leading causes include:
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driving
- Speeding (or not going fast enough)
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Aggressive driving behaviors, like sudden lane changes or slamming on the brakes
- Not paying attention to other drivers, bicyclists, or pedestrians – particularly at intersections
- Defective vehicles or safety equipment
- Faulty traffic signals or hidden signage
Sometimes accidents are the result of more than one of these things. Trust that our legal team will conduct an investigation to get to the bottom of what caused your car accident. When we know why it happened we can begin to seek compensation from anyone who shares blame. Give our law firm a call to schedule a free initial evaluation with an attorney.
Representing All Crash Victims in Clearwater
No two car accidents are the same. You need an attorney who has extensive experience handling a wide range of car accident cases. The Clearwater personal injury attorneys at Perenich, Caulfield, Avril & Noyes Personal Injury Lawyers have been representing accident clients for more than 66 years.
We’ve handled just about every type of collision you can imagine – and we are ready to put our experience and insights to work for your benefit.
Our attorneys handle all car accident cases including:
- Clearwater Airbag Injury Lawyer
- Clearwater Distracted Driving Accident Lawyer
- Clearwater Head-On Crash Lawyer
- Clearwater Highway Crashes Lawyer
- Clearwater Hit & Run Accident Lawyer
- Clearwater Left-Turn Accident Lawyer
- Clearwater Rear-End Crash Lawyer
- Clearwater Rollover Accident Lawyer
- Clearwater Truck Accident Lawyer
- DUI Accidents in Clearwater, FL
- Front-end or head-on accidents
- Interstate accidents
- Multi-Vehicle Crashes
- Side-impact accidents
- Single-vehicle accidents
- Speeding Accidents Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Accidents involving bicyclists, pedestrians, and motorcyclists
- Crashes involving uninsured and underinsured motorists
- And more.
If you’ve been injured due to someone else’s negligence, contact our law offices to discuss your car accident case. Call us today to schedule a free initial case consultation with a lawyer from our legal team.
How Do I Get Compensation After a Car Accident in Clearwater, FL?
After a collision, you’ll probably have two ways to get money for your injuries. The first involves submitting a claim to an insurance provider, and the second involves filing a personal injury lawsuit against at-fault parties.
Florida Car Insurance Laws
Florida currently has “no fault” car insurance laws. Drivers are required to purchase Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and Property Damage Liability (PDL) coverage before they can hit the road. If there’s an accident, the injured driver has to submit an insurance claim with their own provider to recover these benefits – regardless of who caused the accident.
Serious Injury Threshold Exception
There is one major exception to Florida’s no-fault insurance law: the serious injury threshold. If your accident-related injuries are so severe that they cause significant or permanent impairment, disability, or death, you’re permitted to file a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault party for your accident.
Since the cost of a catastrophic injury tends to be much greater than insurance policy maximums, this helps to ensure that injured drivers have a path to get the compensation they need.
Personal Injury Lawsuit
There may be other instances when you have the right to file a lawsuit to seek compensation for your injuries – above and beyond what your insurance provider will pay.
You could potentially seek damages from:
- The negligent party’s employer (if the collision happened while they were working)
- Companies responsible for designing, manufacturing, or selling defective products (like airbags or brakes that might have contributed to the collision)
- Government agencies (if they knew or should have known about a hazardous condition and did nothing to fix it, and your accident happened as a result).
Knowing how to get money after an accident can be overwhelming. That’s why it’s smart to hire a seasons car accident lawyer to handle your case for you. After your accident, contact an experienced attorney at Perenich, Caulfield, Avril & Noyes Personal Injury Lawyers for legal assistance – our legal team is here to take your call 24/7/365.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After a Motor Vehicle Accident in Clearwater?
In Florida, the statute of limitations for most personal injury lawsuits was recently changed. There is now a two-year time limit for accidents taking place on or after March 24th, 2023, and a four-year time limit for accidents occurring before that date.
Keep in mind that there are exceptions to this general rule. If an accident is fatal, families will have just two years to file a wrongful death claim. If a government agency is involved, claims are subject to accelerated timetables – meaning a matter of months, not years.
There are also times when victims might have more time to pursue compensation after getting injured in a collision. The statute of limitations might be tolled – or paused – if a victim is a child or if the person responsible for causing the accident can’t be located.
What Are the Most Common Types of Car Accident Injuries in Clearwater, FL?
Any car accident injury can turn your world upside down – in the short term and for years to come.
That’s why our attorneys will fight to get maximum compensation for all of your injuries, including:
- Broken bones and fractures
- Neck injury
- Back injury
- Traumatic brain injury
- Joint injury
- Burn injury
- Spinal cord damage
- Crushing injury
- Chest injury
- And more.
Our wrongful death attorneys also represent families who have lost a loved one in a fatal Clearwater car accident. Give our compassionate legal team a call to see how we can help you today.
What Should I Do After a Car Crash in Clearwater?
Here’s what you should (and shouldn’t) do after you’re involved in a motor vehicle accident.
- DO: Stay at the scene of the accident. You’re legally required to stay if there was an injury, death, or property damage. Leaving can be considered a hit and run.
- DON’T: Apologize or admit fault. Doing so could jeopardize your ability to recover compensation.
- DO: Call the police to report the accident and request emergency medical responders, if necessary.
- DO: Seek medical attention as soon as you can, even if you don’t think your injuries are that serious.
- DON’T: Make a recorded statement for an insurance company or feel pressured to accept an early offer (it’s probably way less than you deserve).
- DO: Call a lawyer to learn about your rights and have them handle all conversations with insurance providers and other parties.
It’s important to get in touch with an attorney as soon as you can after you’re involved in a wreck. That’s the best way to protect your rights and put yourself in the best position to secure the compensation you deserve. If you have any questions regarding your accident, contact a personal injury lawyer from Perenich, Caulfield, Avril & Noyes Personal Injury Lawyers today.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Clearwater Car Accident Lawyers Near You
You’ll have to act quickly and decisively to recover fair compensation after your car accident. That may be hard to do if you are also recovering from injuries. Our Clearwater car accident lawyers at Perenich, Caulfield, Avril & Noyes Personal Injury Lawyers can handle all aspects of your injury claim so you can focus on your rest and recovery.
Contact our law firm today to get 300+ years of combined experience on your side. We’re standing by to schedule your free consultation.
Clearwater Car Accident Lawyer Review
Read more of our testimonials.
Clearwater Auto Repair Shops
C Jay’s Auto Repair – 1890 N Hercules Ave # D, Clearwater, FL 33765
Coachman Automotive – 1717 Coachman Plaza Dr, Clearwater, FL 33759
Esquire Auto Repair – 1955 Calumet St, Clearwater, FL 33765
R & C Auto & Truck Repair – 1426 N Hercules Ave #3, Clearwater, FL 33765
Service Masters Total Car Care – 2627 Harbor Cir, Clearwater, FL 33759
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website.
Clearwater Car Accident Resources
Car Accident Blog Posts
- Can You Sue for a Car Accident in Clearwater, FL, if You Are Not Hurt?
- The True Dangers of Falling Asleep While Driving
- What Are The Odds Of Dying In A Car Crash?
Car Accident Infographic
Areas We Serve In Clearwater, FL
Alcove, Ashland Heights, Bay Aristocrat Village, Brentwood Estates, Charter Oaks, Chateaux De Ville Ct, Clearwater Beach, Clearwater Golf View, Clubhouse Estates, Coachman Ridge, Country Club Estates, Countryside Estates, Countryside Northridge, Countryside Woods, Cypress Bend, Del Oro Groves, Drew Park Plaza, Eagle Estates, Eagles Glen, Forest Run, Forest Wood Estates, Greenbriar Club, Grovewood, Harbor Bluffs Waterfront, Harbor Oaks Estates, Harbor Woods Village, Harbour Towne, Hillcrest Villas, Historic Bayview, Huntington Lakes, Huntington Trace, Huntington Trail, Imperial Courts, Imperial Cove, Imperial Park, Inverness Park, Island Estate, Landmark, Mission Hills, Misty Springs, Montclair Lake Estates, Morningside-Meadows, Normandy Park Oaks, Northwood Estates, Northwood West, Oak Bluffs, Oak Creek At Countryside, Oak Forest Of Countryside, Oaks Of Northwood, Old Clearwater Bay, On Top Of The World, Pierce, Prelude, Pride, Prospect Towers, Rainbow Farms North, Rainbow Farms South, Raintree Village, Rustlewood, Sand Key, Sandal Cove, Seville, Shady Oak Farms, Spring Lake South, Spring Lakes Of Clearwater, Springdale, Sunny Grove, Sunset Lake Estates, Sunshine Tower, Trails Of Countryside, University Park, Valencia Park, Viewpoint On The Bay, Villas Of Lake Arbor, Weathersfield Ct, Weatherstone, Westchester Lake, Winding Wood, Windsor Park, Woodgate, Woodlake, Woodland Villas and Wyatt Street.
Our Clearwater, FL personal injury law firm also provides:
- Assault Injury Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Aviation Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Bad Faith Insurance Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Boating Accident Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Bus Accident Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Catastrophic Injury Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Child Injury Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Commercial Vehicle Accident Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Cruise Ship Accident Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Dog Bite Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Electric Scooter Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Lyft Accident Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Maritime Accident Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Medical Benefits Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Negligent Security Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Product Liability Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Recreational Vehicle Accident Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Sexual Assault Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Slip and Fall Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Social Security Disability Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Taxi Accident Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Uber Accident Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Workers’ Compensation Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Workplace Accident Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Wrongful Death Lawyers in Clearwater, FL