Did you or a loved one sustain a catastrophic injury in Clearwater, Florida? You may be entitled to significant financial compensation for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. A Clearwater catastrophic injury lawyer at Perenich, Caulfield, Avril & Noyes Personal Injury Lawyers can help you fight to secure the money you need and deserve.
We’ve been working hard to help accident victims get the fair compensation they deserve since 1955. That work has paid off. We’ve recovered more than $675 million in compensation for our clients over the years–and counting. We handle cases like Clearwater brain injuries, child injuries, birth injuries, Clearwater slip and falls, and more.
Table of Contents
How Perenich, Caulfield, Avril & Noyes Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help With a Catastrophic Injury Claim in Clearwater
A catastrophic injury can change your life in an instant. Often, someone else’s careless or reckless acts are at least partly responsible for the accident and injury. If that’s the case, the responsible party can be held financially liable for your damages.
However, you shouldn’t expect the at-fault party to step forward and take financial responsibility. You’ll have to fight for the full compensation you deserve–at the worst possible time.
While you focus on your recovery, you can count on our Clearwater personal injury lawyers at Perenich, Caulfield, Avril & Noyes Personal Injury Lawyers to protect your rights. Collectively, we have over 300 years of experience fighting for accident victims in the Tampa Bay area.
Hiring us means you’ll have a lawyer to:
- Launch a full investigation into the circumstances surrounding your injury
- Identify all liable parties
- Assess the value of your personal injury claim
- Hire respected experts and specialists
- Negotiate with the insurance companies to maximize your settlement
Our goal is to recover the money you need for a stable future. We have the skills to achieve that goal. We’ve been recognized by the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum and Super Lawyers for our success in the courtroom and at the negotiating table.
Are you ready to take the first step? Call our experienced Clearwater personal injury attorneys for a free initial consultation today.
Overview of Catastrophic Injuries
There is no exact definition for the term “catastrophic injury.” An injury is classified as catastrophic based on how it will impact the victim’s life. Catastrophic injuries often permanently prevent the victim from returning to any gainful work.
An injury may be catastrophic if it:
- Causes permanent and severe functional disability
- Causes serious head or neck trauma
- Results in death
As the victim, you should expect that a catastrophic injury will fundamentally change the way you live. Victims often require life-long medical care and rehabilitation.
If you or a family member have suffered a catastrophic injury, call our lawyers in Clearwater today. We’ll fight to help you secure the maximum compensation you deserve.
What Are the Different Types of Catastrophic Injury?
Florida law provides examples of the types of injuries that are considered catastrophic. At Perenich, Caulfield, Avril & Noyes Personal Injury Lawyers, we handle all types of catastrophic injury cases, including those involving:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord damage
- Amputation of a hand, foot, arm or leg
- Severe burns
- Loss of hearing
- Multiple broken bones
It can be difficult to imagine the challenges you could face in the future. Our lawyers are here to help fight for the money you’ll need to pay for medical care, rehabilitation, and more.
How Common Are Catastrophic Injuries?
What are the Signs and Symptoms of Catastrophic Injuries?
Catastrophic injury victims are often rushed to the emergency room after an accident. Sometimes, the signs and symptoms of the injury are obvious. However, that isn’t always the case.
Some accident victims appear to be unharmed after an accident–only to suffer dramatically in the hours and days that follow. For example, brain damage and spinal cord damage can worsen over time to the point where they become catastrophic.
Signs and Symptoms of Brain Injuries
Signs that you have suffered a traumatic brain injury include:
- Trouble speaking or understanding
- Blurred vision
- Loss of consciousness for any period of time
- Memory loss and confusion
- Nausea or vomiting
Any brain injury can be serious. If you notice any of these signs, it’s important to seek medical care immediately.
Signs and Symptoms of Spinal Cord Injuries
The spine is responsible for sending messages between the brain and the rest of the body. Symptoms of spinal cord damage include:
- Loss of sensation in the limbs
- Loss of motor function
- Loss of bladder or bowel function
- Trouble breathing
A severe spinal cord injury can fundamentally change your life. You should always have a doctor evaluate your condition after an accident to prevent minor spinal cord damage from becoming catastrophic.
What are the Long-Term Consequences of Catastrophic Injuries?
Catastrophic injuries often cause serious physical, emotional, and financial losses. Depending on the nature of your injury, some of the long-term consequences of catastrophic injuries include:
- Assistance with basic activities of daily living, such as eating, dressing, bathing, etc.
- Reliance on prescription medications, medical devices, or prosthetic limbs
- Chronic pain
- Loss of mobility
- Loss of critical bodily functions
- Dependency on pain medications
- Loss of your ability to earn a living
- A need for long-term care in a facility
- Home and vehicle modifications
- Severe depression, anxiety, and PTSD
- Loss of cognitive functions
- Development of additional medical conditions, including high blood pressure, blood clots, respiratory problems, and more
- Wrongful death
The economic cost of a catastrophic injury can be overwhelming. Medical care is expensive. If someone else’s negligence caused your injury, you shouldn’t be responsible for the financial costs on top of your physical and emotional suffering.
Our Clearwater catastrophic injury attorneys are here to help. Contact our legal team today to learn more about our practice areas.
What Causes Most Catastrophic Injuries?
Most catastrophic accidents occur suddenly and without any warning. Motor vehicle accidents are one of the most common causes of catastrophic injuries. However, any type of severe accident can change your life forever.
At Perenich, Caulfield, Avril & Noyes Personal Injury Lawyers, we handle all types of catastrophic injury claims in Clearwater, including those involving:
- Car accidents
- Assault and violence
- Commercial vehicle accidents
- Trucking accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Bus accidents
- Sports accidents
- Boating accidents
- Construction accidents
- Workplace accidents
- Dog bites
- Defective products
- Medical malpractice
- Nursing home abuse
- Negligent security
We have the experience and resources to handle the most complex personal injury claims. To learn more about our law firm, call to schedule a free case review today.
What is My Clearwater Catastrophic Injury Case Worth?
Many factors will influence the value of your personal injury case, including:
- The cost of your past and future medical treatment, rehabilitation, and specialized care
- Your lost income and lost future earning potential
- Whether you will ever return to work
- Your emotional and psychological suffering
- The toll the injury takes on your family
It can take time to fully evaluate the cost of your injuries. During that process, our lawyers will work with experts in medicine, economics, life care, and other specialties who can offer guidance and help anticipate your future needs.
What Compensation Can I Recover for Catastrophic Injuries in Clearwater, Florida?
Under Florida personal injury laws, you’re entitled to be made “whole” again when someone else is responsible for your injury. Victims can recover damages for both economic and non-economic losses.
Common economic damages include:
- Past medical bills
- Lost wages
- Future medical expenses
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Medications and medical devices
- Rehabilitative care
- Long-term care
- Property damage
- Any other out-of-pocket expenses
Non-economic damages include:
Insurance companies know that it can be hard to put a price tag on these types of losses. Without experienced legal advice, you risk settling for less than you deserve.
How Long Do I Have to File a Catastrophic Injury Lawsuit in Florida?
Florida recently changed its statute of limitations for most personal injury cases. You’ll generally have two years to file your claim if your injuries were sustained on or after 3/24/2023, and four years if you sustained your injuries before that date. However, there are many exceptions to these deadlines. It is recommended that you contact a personal injury lawyer to determine the correct deadline for your specific case.
Contact a Clearwater Catastrophic Injury Lawyer for a Free Consultation
We know that you’re facing unexpected challenges if you or a loved one has suffered a catastrophic injury. A Clearwater catastrophic injury lawyer can fight for the money you need to overcome your financial struggles. Call Perenich, Caulfield, Avril & Noyes Personal Injury Lawyers for a free consultation today.
Our Clearwater, FL personal injury law firm in Pinellas County also provides:
- Assault Injury Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Aviation Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Bad Faith Insurance Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Boating Accident Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Bus Accident Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Car Accident Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Child Injury Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Commercial Vehicle Accident Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Cruise Ship Accident Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Dog Bite Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Electric Scooter Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Lyft Accident Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Maritime Accident Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Medical Benefits Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Negligent Security Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Product Liability Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Recreational Vehicle Accident Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Sexual Assault Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Slip and Fall Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Social Security Disability Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Taxi Accident Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Uber Accident Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Workers’ Compensation Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Workplace Accident Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Wrongful Death Lawyers in Clearwater, FL