Have you been injured or lost a loved one in an aviation accident in Clearwater, Florida? You may be entitled to significant compensation. Perenich, Caulfield, Avril & Noyes Personal Injury Lawyers will fight to hold the responsible party accountable and get you the money you need to begin your recovery.
Since 1955, we’ve recovered hundreds of millions of dollars for injured clients in the Tampa Bay area. We’ve secured several awards of $1 million or more, and countless six-figure awards for clients just like you.
Contact our Clearwater law firm today at (727) 796-8282 to tell one of our top-rated Clearwater aviation accident lawyers about your accident. Learn more about how our Pinellas County attorneys may be able to help you fight big airline companies and get the compensation you deserve after a tragedy. We handle all types of injury cases like motorcycle accidents, Clearwater boating accidents, taxi accidents, Clearwater truck accidents, Uber accidents, and more.
Your first consultation is always free, and we work on a contingency fee basis. That means if we don’t win, you don’t pay.
Table of Contents
How Perenich, Caulfield, Avril & Noyes Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After an Aviation Accident in Clearwater
Over the past 65+ years, we’ve helped thousands of clients and their families get back on their feet after an accident. We routinely recover life-changing awards for injured victims just like you.
One of our senior partners is also an instrument-rated private pilot—which will be a huge advantage to you in any aviation case.
When you hire us, our legal team will:
- Listen carefully to your story and answer all of your questions throughout the process
- Fully investigate your case to determine all potential sources of recovery
- Locate and interview witnesses
- Hire medical, financial, and aviation experts as necessary
- Handle all communications with insurance companies
- Negotiate fiercely for a favorable settlement for you
- Send a Board Certified trial lawyer to take your case to trial if needed
Don’t leave your future in the hands of just any law firm. You deserve our award-winning legal team with proven results. We put you first. Contact one of our Clearwater personal injury lawyers today for a free consultation.
How Common Are Aviation Accidents?
Commercial airline crashes are relatively rare. However, when they do happen, the results are often catastrophic. The number of people killed worldwide in aviation accidents rose in 2020, despite more than a 50% decrease in the actual number of crashes.
According to information collected by Reuters, five of the 40 commercial airline crashes in 2020 were fatal, resulting in 299 fatalities. In 2019, there were 86 commercial plane crashes. Eight of those were fatal, resulting in 257 deaths.
Crashes involving general aviation aircraft are more common. General aviation includes all aircraft except for the military and commercial airlines.
A preliminary report from the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) for 2020 shows that there were 1,047 general aviation crashes in 2020. Of those, 188 were fatal, resulting in 250 total deaths.
Preliminary data collected by AOPA for 2021 as of late October indicate 682 general aviation crashes. Of those, 118 caused fatalities, resulting in 207 people killed.
How Much is My Aviation Accident Case Worth?
Many factors can affect the value of your case. Cases involving serious injury or death tend to bring higher awards.
How much compensation you could receive depends on:
- How severe your injuries are
- Whether you suffered a disability from the accident
- If your injuries prevented you from working (and for how long)
- Whether you did anything to mitigate your losses
- Whether you require future rehabilitation
- Whether you’re able to return to work in the same job
- How much your normal life activities are limited
It’s important to consult a Clearwater aviation accident attorney who has experience with your type of case. With a pilot on our legal team, we know what issues to look for and how to put you in the best position to receive all of the money you deserve.
I Was Injured in an Aviation Accident – What Damages Can I Get?
Economic damages compensate you for financial losses for things such as:
Compensation for these expenses will help you recoup what you’ve paid and offset future losses.
Non-economic damages compensate you for more intangible losses such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Emotional trauma
- Loss of enjoyment of life activities
Losses based on the emotional scars caused by the accident are less concrete and can vary widely depending on how drastically your life is affected.
In rare cases, punitive damages may be available. These are designed to punish the defendant for egregious conduct. Consult a reputable Clearwater law firm for legal advice to be sure you’re accounting for all of your damages.
Can I Still Receive Compensation If I’m Blamed for an Aviation Accident in Florida?
Yes, as long as you weren’t mostly at fault. Florida follows a modified comparative fault rule with a 51% bar to recovery when dividing compensation. This means that if you’re found to be partially at fault, your compensation will be reduced in proportion to your responsibility for the accident. And once that proportion reaches 51% or more, you cannot receive compensation.
An experienced Clearwater plane crash lawyer will push back and make sure you aren’t unfairly blamed.
What Causes Aviation Accidents in Clearwater, FL?
A plane crash is the most obvious type of aviation accident. But serious accidents can occur in the airport, on the tarmac, and on the plane as well.
Some causes of plane crashes are:
- Pilot error
- Pilot fatigue
- Pilots under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Engine failure
- Software malfunction
- Air traffic control error
- Faulty equipment
Almost half of all accidents caused by pilot error occur during the landing phase. Other serious injuries can occur in the airport or on the plane due to:
- Trip and fall hazards
- Falling luggage or other premises liability hazards
- Service cart incidents
- Unruly passengers
- Fire risk from dangerous materials like lithium batteries
Whatever the circumstances, you can be confident that our team at Perenich, Caulfield, Avril & Noyes Personal Injury Lawyers will investigate all possible causes of your accident or wrongful death claim.
What Are Common Aviation Accident Injuries?
An aviation accident can, of course, result in death or have other tragic consequences. Even when they’re not fatal, incidents that occur while you’re on a plane can cause serious injury.
Some common in-flight injuries include:
- Brain injuries
- Broken vertebrae
- Exacerbation of existing conditions due to cabin environment (hypoxia, reduced mobility)
An accident or medical emergency on a plane is challenging due to limited space and access to medical facilities. Something that might be easily treated on the ground could turn into a major event in the air.
Who is Liable for My Aviation Accident Injuries?
Anyone who contributed to your injury can potentially be held liable.
This could be:
- Commercial airline
- Private aircraft owner
- Airplane manufacturer
- Airline attendant
- Airport security company
- Airline mechanics
- Air traffic control
Aviation incidents can be extremely complicated due to the multiple parties involved and the complexity of aviation law. We’ll provide you with not just a legal team with proven success–you’ll also have the knowledge and expertise of a pilot on your side. You deserve to have someone who knows the aircraft industry inside and out.
When Do I Have to File an Aviation Accident Claim in Florida?
If you’re filing a lawsuit based on an injury you received in a plane accident, you’ll need to adhere to Florida’s statute of limitations, which was recently modified. If your accident happened on or before 3/23/2023, a four-year default deadline applies. Otherwise, the default deadline is two years. A wrongful death lawsuit also needs to be filed within two years.
Aviation accidents can be complex. Initial investigations may need to be done in order to confirm who may be liable for your injuries. If you’re involved in an accident involving a private plane or commercial airline, don’t wait until the last minute to consult a Clearwater plane crash attorney. Once you miss the deadline, you’ll miss out on your opportunity to recover anything.
Contact a Clearwater Aviation Accidents Lawyer
If you’ve been injured or lost a loved one in an aviation accident, Perenich Caulfield, Avril & Noyes Personal Injury Lawyers can help. We have the expertise and track record to help you get the compensation you and your family deserve. There’s never a commitment—your first consultation is always free. So call our Clearwater aviation accident lawyers today.
Our Clearwater, FL personal injury law firm also provides:
- Assault Injury Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Bad Faith Insurance Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Boating Accident Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Bus Accident Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Car Accident Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Catastrophic Injury Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Child Injury Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Commercial Vehicle Accident Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Cruise Ship Accident Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Dog Bite Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Electric Scooter Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Lyft Accident Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Maritime Accident Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Medical Benefits Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Negligent Security Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Product Liability Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Recreational Vehicle Accident Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Sexual Assault Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Slip and Fall Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Social Security Disability Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Taxi Accident Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Clearwater, FL
- Uber Accident Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Workers’ Compensation Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Workplace Accident Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Wrongful Death Lawyers in Clearwater, FL