With 1,350 miles of shoreline, Florida serves as a beacon to all boating activities. Boating enthusiasts flock to the area, and many residents enjoy spending the day on the water.
While boating can be great fun, it can also be another opportunity for people to get injured. If you were injured in a St. Petersburg, FL boating accident caused by someone else’s negligence, you may be able to pursue compensation for the harm you have suffered.
Contact the St. Petersburg boating accident lawyers at Perenich, Caulfield, Avril & Noyes Personal Injury Lawyers for help, call us at (727) 349-1728.
How Our Experienced St. Petersburg Boating Accident Attorneys Can Help You Seek Compensation
An experienced boating accident lawyer can identify the parties responsible for the accident and help you pursue the compensation you deserve after being injured because of another party’s negligence.
We encourage you to select Tampa Bay’s first personal injury law firm, Perenich, Caulfield, Avril & Noyes Personal Injury Lawyers, for the following reasons:
- We have successfully recovered more than $675 million for our clients
- We have over 300 years of combined experience
- We have three attorneys board certified by the Florida Bar Association, a distinction held by less than 2% of all lawyers in the state
- We have fought cases all the way to the Florida Supreme Court and the Supreme Court of the United States on behalf of our clients
Contact our law office in St. Petersburg, Florida today for a free case review where we can discuss your legal rights and options.
How Common Are Boating Accidents in Florida?
According to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, Florida had 836 boating accidents in 2020. This was a 16% increase over the number of boating accidents that occurred in Florida in 2019. Seventy-nine people died in boating accidents in Florida in 2020.
Common Causes of Boating Accidents in Florida
Like with other motorized accidents, boat accidents can be caused by a variety of reasons, such as:
- Boater inexperience
- Impaired boating
- Failing to follow rules
- Distractions or inattention
An experienced St. Petersburg boat accident lawyer can investigate your accident and determine the underlying causes of it.
What Types of Boating Accidents Can Occur in St. Petersburg?
We represent individuals in Pinellas County who have been injured in all types of boating accidents, including those who were injured in:
- Propeller accidents – Propeller accidents can cause dismemberment, serious lacerations, and internal injuries due to the sharpness and speed of the running blades.
- Overboard accidents – The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission reports that overboard accidents have been the leading cause of death in boating accidents since 2003.
- Run-over accidents – Run-over accidents occur when someone in a boat runs over swimmers or a passenger who has fallen overboard. These accidents can lead to spinal injuries, disfigurement, and death.
- Slips and falls – Slippery conditions can lead to slips and falls onboard ships and other vessels.
- Drowning accidents – If a passenger falls overboard, they could become unconscious and drown in the water. A leading cause of drowning accidents is a lack of life jackets.
No matter the type of boating accident, we are here to help you.
Steps to Take After a Boating Accident in St. Petersburg, FL
If you were involved in a boating accident, taking the following steps can help you protect your health and your claim:
Check on Accident Victims
Boating accidents can be dangerous due to the risk of drowning and the unpredictable nature of the water. Stop at the scene of the boating accident and render aid to anyone who needs it. Get yourself and others to safety if the integrity of the boat is in question.
Make a Report
If you are involved in a boating accident, you can contact the FL Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission by calling (888) 404-3922 or contacting the sheriff’s office to make an official report.
Because evidence will literally wash away after a boating accident, do what you can to gather evidence of the accident, such as:
- Photos or video of the accident scene, damage to the boat and other property, and your injuries
- Names and contact information for other people involved in the accident and any witnesses
- The accident report the authorities prepare
- The registration or identification number of the boats involved in the accident
Also, write down your account of the accident while your memory is fresh.
Notify the Insurance Company
Notify your boating insurance company if your boat was involved in the accident. Most insurance companies require you to report all accidents to them as part of your policy.
Contact a Lawyer for Assistance
Finally, don’t forget to contact a boating accident attorney for help making a claim. Having a lawyer handle your claim means you can concentrate on your recovery while your lawyer protects your rights.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our St. Petersburg Boating Accident Lawyers
Since 1955, Perenich, Caulfield, Avril & Noyes Personal Injury Lawyers has helped accident victims in the Tampa Bay area seek compensation following an accident. We invite you to contact our St. Petersburg boating accident attorneys at your convenience to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation.