Were you or a loved one involved in a bicycle accident in St. Petersburg, Florida? You may be entitled to substantial compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. A skilled St. Petersburg bicycle accident lawyer at Perenich, Caulfield, Avril & Noyes Personal Injury Lawyers can fight to get the money you need and deserve.
Our legal team has been handling complex injury claims since we opened our doors in 1955. We go above and beyond to secure the compensation our clients need–and we’ve already recovered over $675 million to help clients get back on their feet.
We offer a free initial consultation, so don’t hesitate to contact our St. Petersburg law office today for the legal advice you deserve today at (727) 349-1728.
How Perenich, Caulfield, Avril & Noyes Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After a Bicycle Accident in St. Petersburg
Under normal circumstances, biking offers health benefits and an eco-friendly way to get around town. When a bicycle accident occurs, however, it can turn your life upside down. Bicyclists are simply no match for cars and other motor vehicles, even with a helmet and protective gear.
It’s not your fault that you got hurt. You shouldn’t have to pay the price. Unfortunately, you may find that dealing with the insurance company can be a nightmare—even if it’s your own car insurance carrier.
Our experienced St. Petersburg personal injury lawyers at Perenich, Caulfield, Avril & Noyes Personal Injury Lawyers are prepared to fight for you. We know how insurance companies operate—we’re the oldest personal injury firm in Tampa Bay. With our experienced team in your corner, you’ll greatly increase your chances of recovering the full compensation you need.
Our lawyers can help by:
- Launching a comprehensive investigation into the accident
- Hiring accident reconstruction specialists to offer insight into what happened
- Working with experts to assess the fair value of your personal injury claim
- Negotiating with the insurance company to recover the maximum compensation available
Our St. Petersburg personal injury attorneys have more than 300 years of experience between us. We’ve handled thousands of complex injury claims over the years. You can trust that we’ll do everything possible to maximize your financial settlement.
Ready to take the next step? Call today to speak with an attorney who can help.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in St. Petersburg?
By the numbers, Florida is the most dangerous state in the U.S. for bicyclists. Unfortunately, the Tampa Bay area tops the list as the most dangerous metropolitan area in Florida for bike riders.
Bicycle accidents are on the rise even though the Tampa-St. Petersburg metro area now has 26 bike trails that cover more than 221 miles.
In 2020, the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles reported 5,948 bicycle crashes and 163 bike accident fatalities statewide. 518 accidents and eight fatalities occurred in Pinellas County.
What is My St. Petersburg Bicycle Accident Case Worth?
Bicycle accident claims often turn into long and protracted battles with insurance companies. It’s the insurance company’s job to pay as little as possible after an accident. The sooner an experienced attorney gets involved, the better the outcome.
Most bicycle accident victims want to know how much their case is worth. Many different factors will impact the overall value of your injury claim, including:
- The severity of your injuries
- The long-term impact of the injuries (physical and emotional)
- Your out-of-pocket expenses, including the cost of medical treatment
- The amount of time you missed from work
- Any damage to your quality of life
- Whether liability has been clearly established
Insurance companies will try to use legal concepts to minimize your settlement. They might blame you for the accident under Florida’s contributory fault rules. They might even claim that your injuries were pre-existing.
Our lawyers are here to advocate for the maximum compensation possible. Just give us a call today to learn more.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Bicycle Accident Victims?
You might be shocked by the cost of a serious injury. Florida personal injury laws are designed to make victims whole again after an accident. That means you can recover the full amount of your financial losses, which are called economic damages.
Economic damages include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages and income
- Diminished future earning potential
- Medical equipment and medications
- Property damage
You’re also entitled to compensation for your non-financial, personal losses. Those non-economic damages include:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Diminished quality of life
- Physical disfigurement and scarring
- Chronic pain
- Anxiety, depression, and PTSD
- Loss of consortium
If the insurance company is giving you the runaround or you need help evaluating a settlement offer, don’t hesitate to reach out for a free case evaluation today. Our lawyers are prepared to help with every aspect of your case to help you maximize your settlement or verdict.
Can I Recover Damages if I’m Being Blamed for a Bicycle Accident in Florida?
Accident victims can recover damages even if they’re partially responsible for their injuries – but only if they aren’t mostly responsible. Florida follows a modified comparative fault rule. You can recover damages as long as someone else is at least mostly responsible for your accident. From there, your award will be reduced in proportion to your percentage of fault.
We’ll Fight to Recover Compensation for All of Your Bicycle Accident Injuries
Some of the most serious bike accidents involve a collision with a car or truck. When that happens, the bike rider’s injuries are likely to be extremely severe. The rider’s body is traumatized twice:
- Once by the force of the vehicle itself
- A second time when the rider strikes the concrete or another fixed object
At Perenich, Caulfield, Avril & Noyes Personal Injury Lawyers, we’ll fight to recover full compensation for all of your injuries, including:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Crushing injuries
- Nerve damage
- Head and neck injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Broken bones
- Traumatic amputations
- Catastrophic injuries
Some bike accidents are fatal. If you lost a loved one, our attorneys can help you fight to recover full compensation for their wrongful death.
What Causes Most Bicycle Accidents in St. Petersburg, Florida?
Most bicycle accidents occur because of negligent drivers. The same types of careless driving that cause car accidents can also cause bike accidents.
Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents in St. Petersburg include:
- Distracted driving
- Failure to yield the right-of-way to bikes
- Swerving into dedicated bike lanes
- Failure to keep a proper lookout for bicycles
- Unsafe passing
- Illegal or unsafe turns
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Drunk driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs
- Fatigued driving
- Vehicle defects
- Worn tires and brakes
Bicyclists’ behavior can also cause a bike accident. Because bicycle riders are most likely to suffer serious injuries in a crash, they should take every precaution to prevent an accident.
Bike riders can cause or make an accident worse by:
- Failing to install a headlamp and reflective gear
- Riding against traffic, rather than with traffic
- Failing to use dedicated bike lanes
- Failing to signal and follow traffic regulations
- Failing to ride on the right side of the road
The best way to find out what caused your accident is to consult an experienced attorney. Our lawyers at Perenich, Caulfield, Avril & Noyes Personal Injury Lawyers have over 300 years of experience between us. We know how to investigate cases like yours to identify all responsible parties.
Do you need help proving who caused your accident? Call a St. Petersburg bicycle accident attorney for a free case review today.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Bicycle Accident in Florida?
Most bike accidents are caused by simple negligence. Negligence is a failure to exercise reasonable caution under the circumstances.
Proving negligence means establishing:
- A legal duty of care
- A breach of duty
- The breach caused the accident
- The amount of damages you suffered
Our lawyers are ready to begin an investigation today. It’s important that we get evidence while it’s fresh. Witness’ memories tend to fade, video footage can be lost and even the accident scene itself will quickly be cleared. Our lawyers will analyze police reports, medical records, and other evidence to help establish your right to compensation.
Even if you’re still recovering, call or contact our lawyers in St. Petersburg to schedule a free consultation today.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After a Bicycle Accident in Florida?
Under Florida state law, you’ll have two years to file your claim if your accident occurred on or after 3/24/2023 and four years if it took place before that date. Once the deadline passes, you’ll forfeit your right to damages. However, there are exceptions to these deadlines in some cases. Contact a lawyer to determine the correct timeline for your particular case.
Contact a St. Petersburg Bicycle Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Taking legal action might be the last thing on your mind if you’re seriously injured. Our legal team will make protecting your rights our number one priority while you recover. Call a St. Petersburg bicycle accident lawyer at Perenich, Caulfield, Avril & Noyes Personal Injury Lawyers for a free consultation today to learn more about your legal options.
Our personal injury law firm in St. Petersburg, FL also provides:
- Aviation Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Car Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Dog Bite Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Medical Malpractice Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Slip and Fall Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Social Security Disability Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Uber Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Workers’ Compensation Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Workplace Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Wrongful Death Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
Bicycle Accidents Resources:
- Transportation Bicycle Safety
- CDC’s HEADS UP: Helmet Safety
- U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration “Bicycle Lanes”
Bicycle Repair Shops:
- Tonys Bike Shop – 19 21st St N, St. Petersburg, FL 33713
- Rad Power Bikes St Pete – Ebike Sales & Service Center – Units B&C, 2400 5th Ave S, St. Petersburg, FL 33712
- Action Wheelsport – 3711 5th Ave N, St. Petersburg, FL 33713
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website. These were some of the highest-rated
St.Petersburg’s Bicycle Accident Review:
Read more of our Google Review here.