Were you injured in a slip-and-fall accident in St. Petersburg, Florida? If someone else was responsible for causing your fall, you could be entitled to significant compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. You need a St. Petersburg slip-and-fall lawyer who puts you first and who will fight to get you the money you need.
You need Perenich, Caulfield, Avril & Noyes Personal Injury Lawyers in your corner. We get results.
We’ve been trusted in the Tampa Bay area for more than 66 years to help injured victims get the compensation they deserve after being involved in a St. Petersburg premises liability case, construction accident, pedestrian incident, St. Petersburg wrongful death claim, and more types of cases.
We’ve recovered more than $675 million in life-changing awards for our clients over the years. Contact our law office at (727) 349-1728 today or contact us online to schedule your free consultation. There’s no obligation and no risk to you.
Table of Contents
How Perenich, Caulfield, Avril & Noyes Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After Suffering a Slip and Fall Injury in St. Petersburg
Are you overwhelmed worrying about how you’re going to pay the bills that are piling up? Are you exhausted from doctor visits and wince in pain trying to do even the smallest tasks? If you’re like most accident victims, you’re probably struggling with these issues and more. Let us handle fighting for the money you need so you can spend your energy on rest and recovery.
When you hire our St. Petersburg personal injury lawyers, we can:
- Fully investigate your case to pinpoint the cause of your accident
- Locate and interview witnesses who can support your case
- Handle all claims and communications with insurance companies
- Negotiate for a fair settlement that includes all the money you’re owed
- Send a Board Certified civil trial attorney to fight for you in court, if necessary
We’re the most established firm in the area—we were the first personal injury law firm in Pinellas County. We’re the local firm that can get big results. All you have to do is call. We’re always standing by to help. Your initial consultation is free. And, if we don’t win, you don’t pay. Guaranteed.
How Common Are Slip and Fall Accidents in St. Petersburg, FL?
Falls are the number one reason that people land in the emergency department (ED) in Pinellas County. In 2020, 24,739 people ended up in the ED due to falls. That’s roughly 68 per day. As a reference, that’s nearly three times as many people who went to the ED for non-fatal car accident injuries (8,640).
Falls are the leading cause of death among Floridians over the age of 65, and the fourth highest cause of death for all ages throughout the state. In 2020, 336 people in Pinellas County died from a fall.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 77 people died in fatal slips, trips, and falls in the workplace in Florida.
How Much Is My Slip and Fall Case Worth?
Each case is different. The best way to get a better idea is to talk with one of our St. Petersburg slip and fall attorneys. Although the amount will vary depending on the facts, there are a few factors that generally affect the value of any case.
Answers to the following questions will help us get a better idea:
- How severely were you hurt?
- How much time did you have to miss from work?
- Did you in any way contribute to the accident?
- Did you seek medical attention right away?
- Were you on public or private property?
- Are you expected to make a full recovery?
Cases that have injuries with long-term consequences often result in higher awards. We work hard to maximize your compensation. That means making sure all liable parties are identified and held accountable. And, it means working with your medical providers and other experts to make sure we have a complete picture of the extent of your injuries and ability to work.
What Kind of Damages Can I Get in a Slip and Fall Case?
Damages in a personal injury case are supposed to help “make you whole,” which means they should help you return to your life before the accident. We know that’s not completely possible—we can’t erase the traumatic event from your life. But, compensatory damages attempt to put a dollar figure on both economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages cover financial losses such as:
- Medical bills
- Past and future lost wages
- Nursing care
- Property damage
These are usually items that have a corresponding invoice or receipt. They may be out-of-pocket expenses you’ve already paid. Or, they might include anticipated costs of ongoing medical treatment.
Non-economic damages are less tangible and compensate you when you’re suffering from:
- Physical pain
- Emotional trauma
- Loss of enjoyment of life activities
- Loss of consortium
We fight hard to make the at-fault parties compensate you for diminishing your quality of life.
In rare cases, punitive damages could be available. The purpose of punitive damages is to punish the defendant for extreme, outrageous, or intentional behavior in hopes of deterring such conduct in the future.
We’ll Fight to Recover Compensation for All of Your Slip and Fall Injuries
Slip and fall injuries can range in severity from a broken ankle to a tragic fatal fall in a workplace accident.
Some common injuries include:
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Concussions and other head injuries
- Back and neck injuries
- Sprains and strains
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
- And more
It’s important to seek medical attention as soon as possible after your accident, even if you don’t think you were seriously injured. Many head injuries aren’t visible and can have severe consequences if not treated promptly.
What Causes Most Slip and Fall Accidents in St. Petersburg, Florida?
Most slip-and-fall (or trip-and-fall) accidents are completely preventable. They’re often caused by someone’s carelessness.
Some common causes of slip and fall accidents are:
- Failure to clean spills on floors
- Torn or uneven carpet
- Broken tiles
- Crumbling concrete
- Potholes or poorly maintained parking lots
- Unmarked or unsecured wires or cords
- Inadequate lighting
- Broken or loose handrails
- Objects or debris in walkways
Finding the precise cause of your accident is critical to getting the full compensation you deserve. There are often multiple parties involved in these kinds of cases. Our St. Petersburg personal injury lawyers don’t cut corners just to get your case settled. We leave no stone unturned in finding out who needs to pay up for your injuries. And we’re never afraid to take your case to trial when necessary.
Do I Have to Prove the Property Owner Was Negligent If I Slipped and Fell?
A slip and fall accident is a type of premises liability case. These cases are rarely simple and often depend on why you were visiting the premises in the first place.
If you were an invited guest or visiting premises open to the public, you’ll need to prove that the property owner was negligent in some way that created a hazardous condition on the property.
To prove negligence, you must prove each of its four elements:
- Duty: the property owner owed you a duty of care
- Breach: the property owner breached that duty
- Causation: the breach of duty resulted in your injuries
- Damages: you suffered actual damages
These aren’t cases that you want to try to handle on your own. Most slip and fall cases happen on business premises, which means they’ll have big insurance companies trying to pressure you to take a settlement.
To prove negligence, you may need:
- Eyewitness testimony
- Expert witnesses such as medical professionals, economists, or scientists
- Maintenance records
- Photographs or video footage of the premises
- Medical records
- And much more
The legal team at Perenich, Caulfield, Avril & Noyes Personal Injury Lawyers will go to bat for you with more than three centuries of combined legal experience handling tough cases. We know how to investigate the evidence and present a compelling case to support your damages.
Can I Still Get Compensation If I’m Being Blamed for a Slip and Fall Accident in Florida?
Most likely, yes. Under Florida law, the modified comparative fault statute requires all parties to share liability according to their role in causing the accident. It allows you to still recover some money even if you were at fault. However, you cannot recover compensation if you are mostly at fault.
If you contributed to your accident, your compensation would be reduced by the portion of the accident caused by your own negligence.
So, if you’re found to be 20% responsible in a $200,000 case, your award would be reduced by 20%. That still leaves you with $160,000. But if you’re found to be 51% or more responsible, you would be barred from receiving damages under Florida law.
The success of your case depends on having an aggressive St. Petersburg personal injury attorney on your side. Insurance companies love to blame the victim. We won’t stand for it. Our legal team will fight back hard against any unfair allegations that you were to blame.
What’s the Deadline for Filing a Slip and Fall Claim in Florida?
In most cases, either two or four years. That’s the statute of limitations in Florida for filing a lawsuit for damages if you were injured in a slip and fall accident. The law was recently changed; you’ll have two years if your accident happened on or after 3/24/2023, and four years if it happened before that date. The deadline is also two years if you’re filing a wrongful death lawsuit to recover damages you suffered due to the loss of a loved one.
It’s best to seek legal advice as soon as possible after your accident. That will ensure that you:
- Don’t miss critical deadlines
- Don’t make a mistake in handling a settlement offer from an insurance company
- Have the best chance of maximizing your compensation
Some cases, such as those involving a county or city government, may have shorter deadlines or special requirements.
Your Trusted St. Petersburg Slip and Fall Lawyers
If someone else is responsible for your slip-and-fall accident in St. Petersburg, they need to be held financially accountable. The St. Petersburg slip and fall lawyers at Perenich, Caulfield, Avril & Noyes Personal Injury Lawyers will fight tooth and nail to get you every dollar you deserve. We’ve done the same for hundreds of injured victims like you—we’ve been incredibly successful. We’ve put hundreds of millions of dollars in our clients’ pockets over the years.
Call today to let us get started fighting for you. We offer free case evaluations, so you have nothing to lose.
Our personal injury law firm in St. Petersburg, FL also provides:
- Assault Injury Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Aviation Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Boating Accident Attorneys in St.Petersburg, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Bus Accident Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Car Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Catastrophic Injury Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Child Injury Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Commercial Vehicle Accidents Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Cruise Ship Accident Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Dog Bite Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Electric Scooter Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Lump Sum Settlements Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Lyft Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Maritime Accident Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Medical Malpractice Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Negligent Security Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Product Liability Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Social Security Disability Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Uber Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Workers’ Compensation Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Workplace Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Wrongful Death Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
Slip and Fall Accidents Resources:
- Make Fall Safety a Top Priority
- Slip and Fall resources for employers and employees
- Slip and Fall Frequently Asked Questions
- National Safety Stand-down
Hospitals & Emergency Room:
- Emergency Center at Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital – 550 6th St S, St. Petersburg, FL 33701, United States
- BayCare Wound Care – St. Anthony’s Hospital – 500 Doctor Martin Luther King Junior Street North 4th Floor, 500 Dr. M.L.K. Jr St N Suite 401, St. Petersburg, FL 33705, United States
- Kindred Hospital Bay Area – St. Petersburg – 3030 6th St S, St. Petersburg, FL 33705, United States
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website. These were some of the highest-rated
St.Petersburg’s Slip and Fall Accident Review:
Read more of our Google Review here.