What to Do After a Car Accident in St. Petersburg [Step-by-Step Guide]

A car accident is one of the most stressful events that a person can experience. Many drivers are unsure of what steps to take following a car accident. Should you speak with the other driver? Should you call the police? Can you move your car?

In this post, Perenich, Caulfield, Avril & Noyes Personal Injury Lawyers provide a step-by-step guide for what to do after a collision. 

Remain at the Scene

Hopefully, this first step is obvious. You should never leave the scene of a traffic collision before you have taken all of the appropriate steps. 

This is especially important if your accident resulted in an injury or death. Under Florida state law, you may face criminal charges for fleeing the scene of a crash.

Check for Injuries

Check to see whether you or your passengers have sustained an injury. Your first priority should be the safety of everyone involved in the accident.

If anyone is hurt, call for medical assistance immediately. In the case of a severe injury, move as little as possible until medical professionals arrive at the scene.

Unless they are in immediate danger, never move an injured person without the direction of an emergency responder. Moving someone that is injured can cause further harm.

Move to a Safe Area

If you can do so safely, get out of the roadway. Move your vehicle out of the flow of traffic. This will help to prevent the possibility of further damage. 

Contact the Police

You should contact the police after an accident that results in property damage or an injury. The police will complete an accident report and record details about the scene of the crash.

A police report is an important piece of evidence if you decide to file a car accident claim.

Collect Information About the Accident

Gathering evidence about the collision will help you to protect your rights and make it easier for you to recover compensation. 

It is critical to collect the following types of information and documentation:

  • Names, contact information, and insurance for other drivers
  • Names and statements from eyewitnesses
  • Photographs of vehicular damage, the scene, and injuries
  • Names and badge numbers of police officers

The more evidence you have regarding the accident, the better. This can help you to recover the financial compensation that you are due if the other driver was at fault.

You may feel pressure to apologize for the collision. But you should never say or do anything that could be seen as an admission of fault.

Notify Your Insurance Provider

Contact your insurance company to inform them about the accident. Be truthful and clear. 

Do not offer needless details, however. It is important to speak with an attorney before negotiating with your insurance adjuster.

Consult with a Car Accident Lawyer

Speaking with a skilled attorney about the facts of your case can help you to determine the best path forward. A trusted legal professional will help you to pursue any financial compensation that you are owed. 

Examples of damages include: 

  • Current and future medical costs
  • The value of lost wages from missed work
  • Property damage repair costs
  • Pain and suffering
  • And more

If you have been involved in a collision in St. Petersburg, Florida make sure to follow these steps. This will help to secure the best possible outcome in your car accident case.

Contact the St. Petersburg Car Accident Law Firm Of Perenich, Caulfield, Avril & Noyes Personal Injury Lawyers for Help

For more information, please contact the Clearwater and St. Petersburg car accident law firm of Perenich, Caulfield, Avril & Noyes Personal Injury Lawyers at the nearest location to schedule a free consultation today.

We serve in Pinellas County, and its surrounding areas:

Perenich, Caulfield, Avril & Noyes Personal Injury Lawyers – Clearwater
1875 N Belcher Rd. STE 201,
Clearwater, FL 33765,
United States
24 hours

Perenich, Caulfield, Avril & Noyes Personal Injury Lawyers – St. Petersburg
2560 1st Ave S,
St. Petersburg, FL 33712,
United States
24 hours
(727) 349-1728